Monday, November 22, 2010

One Last Thanksgiving Recipe, and a story, of course...


(okay, so this picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post,
but isn't he cute? All I had time to take pictures of, apparently, were him!)

I know this recipe is late, but believe me, you're gonna want to try it, and probably soon. Like Wednesday. The good news is that this recipe stores in the refrigerator well, so you can make it ahead (you just might need to make an extra trip to the grocery store and battle the crowds, but it's worth it baby!)

To sum up as fast as I can (hey, I've got baking to do too!),
the story goes like this (in a run-on sentence):

Rachel, Luke's oldest sister, up and got married in October, three days after Luke and I flew back into San Antonio from Hawaii, a trip which was planned way before Rachel even fell in love with Brett (which I rudely reminded her several times); Luke ( as I mentioned previously) volunteered our services to cook for the Rehearsal Dinner, and since our family is stock full of planners (not really, we just leave that to Rachel and Brett) we had a "mock" dinner the month before, at which I served these Pumpkin Cheesecake Crumble Squares, which were loved and caressed and savored, so on the menu they went; along with Cranberry Pear Walnut Feta Salad (to go along with the run-on sentence), Luke's Amazingly Marinated Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Olive Oil and Lemon Grilled Asparagus, Cilantro Rice, and Sister Shubert's Rolls (which, by the way, if you haven't had these, check them out in the I hate to say freezer section at the grocery, they are amazing!!!) --deep breath--so on the plane ride back from our paradise vacation I completed the list I had been dreaming about for days, made a timed schedule for the final day, and geared up for the craziness of the next few days...that evening we shopped like crazy, the next day I cooked 6 batches of afore mentioned Cilantro Rice, and the next day we cut, snapped, salted, drizzled, checked off lists, packed the car, double checked, emergency run to Sam's, and headed to the Rehearsal, where my helpers (thanks Dian, Stephanie, Mercy, Lindsey, and all the brothers, and of course Mrs. Mollenkopf) helped in amazing fashion to pull off, if I do say so myself, an amazingly relaxed, tasty, dinner for 50.

Okay, I think I might go to bed right now I'm so exhausted just typing that....

So here's one of the dessert recipes which goes well with the season; Steph made this for the actual event, thankfully, and it was Rachel's favorite ( the others I might post later, which include Pecan Bars and Cranberry Oat Bars)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Crumble Squares (found on epicurious.com)
Crust:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, diced
  • 1 cup pecan halves (about 4 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats

Filling:
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger

Topping:
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

preparation

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Using on/off turns, blend first 4 ingredients in processor until coarse meal forms. Add pecans; using on/off turns, process until nuts are chopped. Add oats; process using on/off turns until mixture is moistened but not clumping. Press 3 1/2 cups crumbs onto bottom of prepared square pan (do not clean processor). Transfer remaining crumbs to lined baking sheet. Bake crumbs on sheet until golden, stirring once, about 12 minutes. Cool crumbs. Bake crust until golden, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven while preparing filling. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:
Blend all ingredients in same processor until smooth. Spread filling over warm crust; bake until set, dry in center, and beginning to rise at edges, about 20 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

For topping:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Spread evenly over hot filling. Bake until topping sets and bubbles at edges, about 5 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. Sprinkle crumbs over topping; gently press into topping. Cover; chill until cold, about 2 hours. Do ahead Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Cut into squares.

5 comments:

Heather Pelczar said...

I thought this was hilarious and SO yummy to read! Thanks!! (I'll be asking you for several of the recipes later....)

Unknown said...

I tried to make them the other day, but discovered on step 2 that I didn't have pumpkin!! So, I substituted frozen cherries (about 1 cup) and left out the cinnamon and ginger (obviously). How did it turn out? Well, your mom tried them by taking her famous "one little bite", but she ended up taking TWO bites (I could tell she wanted more!) Then she started thinking of when could I make either version to bring to something. This is such a keeper of a recipe :)

darcie said...

Hi, this s Mom usiing the Tippey computer in Indiana! when I read your post I sighed, thinking what a great evening that was and how I should have talked less and savored the food more. Ah, what a memory!

Abigail said...

I was thinking to myself this morning, "I wonder what Gab is making for thanksgiving this year... she always makes me wish I were at her house to enjoy all the lovely food she is making." Then I remembered that maybe you would not be doing the cooking this year?

hmmm - but thanks for pulling through with a great last minute thanksgiving appropriate recipe!

Miranda said...

Hey! I just looked this recipe up to make it again but wondered if you could post the other desserts you mentioned in the post but never got a chance to share? I pretty much love your recipes...Hope you all are doing well.