Saturday, May 7, 2011

Life in the Living Room

I'm feeling a bit like Ma Ingalls these days, living in a one room house...(in case you haven't heard, my kitchen is gutted and under construction)...of course, I still have the luxury of sending my children to their own room for bed, but other than that? We live in the living room. It's sort of a weird feeling-I can't really complain or whine about it, because, hello...we're building a brand spanking new kitchen! That's a luxury, and I'm well aware of that. So, here I sit in my wee little corner, which I've dubbed off limits to pretty much everyone else in this household, by yelling, "That's my corner...get out of there!" (sweetly, and tenderly, of course.)

Progress is good, though; and mostly it's fun...grabbing the laundry basket, heading out the back door, walking around my garden, to the other back door to do the laundry. And back again with the wet clothes (I'm kind of particular about which clothes are put into the dryer) to hang in the bathroom (where we also do the dishes).  Pulling out the leaf of the table to cook (and then back again so we can walk)--we've had tacos and spanish rice, cream of potato/carrot soup, ravioli with sauteed zucchini...right now I'm kind of intrigued by making this whole thing work and not always picking up chic-fil-a...sort of a challenge for me.

What's most in danger of driving this momma crazy is the noise...the make-shift kitchen's not so bad...but the noise! Three loud children, bouncing balls, doing hand stands, chasing each other through the living room and down the hall and back again; combined with the noise of ESPN...my high aspirations of reading to my dear children tonight a lost cause--just didn't have it in me.

the "kitchen," or what's left of it...

cooking in my make-shift kitchen, the living room

the girls washing and drying dishes in the bathroom
...and lots of wasted time on etsy, to be sure...:)

5 comments:

Denise said...

You make me laugh! Can't wait to see the final product. And just so you know... the meals coming out of your make-shift kitchen are way more high-end than the ones coming out of my fully functioning one. Just saying...

Cat said...

I couldn't help but notice a very snazzy tie.

Also, the word verification for this comment is "pouth", which made me laugh.

lizandbunyan said...

I know exactly what you're going through right now. We did the same things for a month. The noise, the dust everywhere even though there are big plastic drop cloths trying to keep the rest of the house separate from the mess, the living room mess because it's also our kitchen and eating area. We made lots of microwave popcorn, smoothies in the blender, and sandwiches. Hang in there--the last week of it was really rough and I was ready for it to be over! But you will LOVE the new kitchen and will rarely think of the process to get it once you have it.

Sara said...

Can't wait to see the new kitchen!

Rachel said...

so descriptive! thank you for making time in the craziness to write about it...