Sunday, September 25, 2011

My cup

here's a little blog post just to annoy the Newton boys who can't understand 
why we Newton girls always blog about coffee cups...

Early this week, as I was loading the dishwasher, one of my favorite little coffee cups slipped through the gap and plummeted to its death, the handle breaking off into 2 pieces (or so I thought). Instantly, my thoughts were ushered back to the summer time when Naomi was in my kitchen, and her words came back to haunt me, "Gab, be careful about putting your little cups here in this spot in your dishwasher, because they might slip through and break." Lesson learned.

Sadly, I put the poor little cup on my counter and left it there, not knowing what to do next (how can I throw away the cute little cup Mercy got me at the Goodwill?).

Fast forward to a couple days later, and my dishwasher starts giving us trouble, refusing to drain. Luke did what he could, to no avail. Thus, Mr. Repairman was called, and after many minutes of tugging, hammering, tapping, and pulling, out came the water pump, and out of that came the third broken piece of the coffee cup. Mr Repairman called, "Here's your problem." I had to laugh as I handed him the cup so he could drop the little piece into it.

Naomi, you are a smart little housewife. I miss you.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Simply awesome. Ha ha ha.

naomi said...

ha! I read your first sentence and I thought - "oh no! I knew something would fall through that crack!"
and just for the record - - I probably would have broken many, many more things than just ONE cup! (just because I understand the theory of good housewife-ing, doesn't mean I always get the practice . . . If you know what I mean!)

and I'll miss drinking out of that little cup. sigh. don't throw it away, ok? maybe you can use it as a change catcher? or a key cup?

darcie said...

I think Papi can glue it-let him at it. .

Mercy Newton said...

i have a mug whos handle broke. but i kept it anyway and still use it.

think of it this way, if i broke my arm, would you throw me in the trash?

what you do to the cup,
you do to me.