Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thoughts on Parenting

Having children is a blessing. Children are a blessing. Children are delightful, and wonderful, and sweet and amazing little people, and I love them.

But can we be honest with each other and say that along with all this blessing and delight comes a sin nature? And I'm not just talking about our children's sin nature. I'm talking about mine! Having children has certainly opened my eyes to realize what sins in my life are way worse than I ever thought before. For example, before I had children, I never would have claimed to anyone that I had a short temper. Well, that's because no one ever tested me on it! Now, I'm tested on it pretty much every day, all day long! And let me just tell you, I have a short temper (but by the grace of God, I'm working on it!).

All this to say, when I am parenting, sometimes it's super easy for me to focus on all the weaknesses of my little ones--their bad habits and rude behavior, for example--when sometimes I just need to take a closer look at myself and my own sin, and work from there. I mean, wouldn't you agree that it's easier to point out other people's flaws than to really and truly look at your own? Well, it is for me.

So, this has been the challenge for me lately--having less of a critical eye on my children, and more of a critical eye on myself. Making sure that I'm honoring the Lord with my thoughts and reactions, and dealing with them when I'm not. When I find myself nitpicking my children, I find myself ignoring my own sins that need desperate help from the Lord. And then I'm just misusing the authority God has given me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So true! (well, I mean that parenting reveals stuff about ourselves not that I think you have a short temper :) ). I heard a quote at Winter Camp that I'm trying to remember as I go through my day. "For every look at yourself, take ten looks at Christ." If I were to do that I think I would see my sin more clearly as well as show more love to those around me.

PS I think the quote was by McCheyenne.

Denise said...

Great thoughts! Thanks for transparently sharing what God has been working on in your heart. You are a blessing!

Michelle said...

misusing authority-- that's one I think we struggle with a lot. I know I do.