Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Penne with Ricotta, Bacon, and Spinach


I happened upon this recipe the other day as I was trying to clean out my overflowing binder of favorites. I can't even remember where I found this one, since I just jotted it down on some scratch paper. I hardly ever stick to a recipe, so I'll just give you what I did. Luke said he was full from lunch and was only going to have a bit, but he nonchalantly went back for more...

Penne with Ricotta, Bacon, and Spinach

1 lb. penne pasta
8 pieces bacon
1/2 med. onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
ab. 1 cup Ricotta cheese
ab. 1/2 bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped
S & P

Cook pasta til tender, reserving pasta water. In the meantime, fry bacon til medium crisp, and drain on paper towels. When cool, cut into small pieces. With the leftover bacon grease, drain out all but about 2 T. and saute the onion and garlic in it, until translucent, browned, and fragrant. Put the spinach in the bottom of a large bowl, and add the hot pasta to it (this will effectively wilt the spinach, but also leave it tender crisp). Add the ricotta, about 2 ladles of pasta water, the onions and the bacon. Stir until creamy and combined. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of fresh parmesan on each bowl.

No comments: