Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Sought the LORD...

and He heard me! And why am I surprised?

Late last night, Luke and I were driving home from a day-long outing when our tire blew out. Luke quickly pulled over, but we were in the fast lane, so we had to pull-over on the left shoulder...a bit more worrisome than the grassy knoll on the right. Of course Luke is always calm and composed in these situations; what made it more difficult was that our trunk was completely overloaded with book shelves and things, which had to be removed to get to the spare tire.

So, I stayed inside the car, but I was getting more and more nervous about my husband working on the tire with the speeding I-35 traffic flying by so close to him. I know this has happened to many a people, but I can get quite stressed in these situations.

I was looking around for something to do in the car (I had already run out of knitting yarn and exhausted my supply of knitting books to look through), and thus I happened upon Luke's Bible under my seat (which is not normally there). So I opened it up...

I know that many people, including me, are weary of those that open the Bible and sort of blindly point to a verse and claim it as a Word from God. But yesterday was sort of like that for me, in a way. The Bible opened to Psalm 34, "The Happiness of Those Who Trust in God."

Psalm 34:4, "I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears."
6 & 7, "This poor man cried out, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them."
15, "The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry."
17, "The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles."
20, "He guards all his bones; Not one of them is broken."

I really was overcome with the comfort of the Lord at this point. And I really believe He directed me to that passage, which has been my comfort many a fearful day. When I get nervous, I hardly know how to pray, so my prayer had basically been "Please keep us safe, Lord." The Lord brought comfort to me with these passages, that He was listening and hears when I cry out to Him. And He gave me peace and I truly wasn't afraid anymore. I didn't know what the outcome would be, but I knew that God was with me and completely in control, and that He had given me peace and comfort when I needed it most.

And to top it off, He did answer my prayer, and kept us safe and protected.
Isn't God good? Seek the Lord, He will hear you!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a great testimony of God's intimate care and concern for His children, and a great reminder from His Word that He can be trusted!