Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Menu

The Thanksgiving menu is not only fun because of all the delicious foods, but also because of the stories that come with it. So what's on our family menu for Thanksgiving, you might ask? I will tell...My mother in law and I are splitting up the tasks.

My part includes:
~ Cranberry Orange Sauce
~ Green Bean Bundles
~ Mashed Potatoes, Gab's style
~ Our Award Winning (seriously) Cranberry Pecan Pie

The first dish doesn't have much of a story. I got it out of RealSimple magazine, and it's almost guiltily easy. The green bean bundles recipe comes from a dear friend from North Carolina who has probably given me the recipe three times because I've lost it that much! (I might have to call her again this year, we'll see...) My mashed potatoes were inspired by some that I had at a little retreat center in the middle of Texas. The whole group of us couldn't stop raving about them, so the chef himself came out and shared his secrets. And the pie. We can't have Thanksgiving without it. The recipe comes from my husbands' mom, and I enterred it in a good ol' fashioned North Carolina pie contest, in which it won 2nd place (first place was a potato pie, go figure) So in case your looking for new recipes, I will be posting them throughout the evening so you can run to the store tomorrow for all the ingredients!

Darcie's part will include the rolls; the turkey (not one but two: another tradition is for Luke's dad to barbecue a turkey, and his sweet wife always lets him); creamed corn (because this meal isn't complete without it, according to Mercy); and a new side dish this year--red cabbage, reminiscent of Darcie's Gramma. And lots and lots of pies.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that pie! We usually use pecans instead of walnuts ( I think that is what the original recipe called for) Maybe I'll get someone to make one for Christmas if Mom doesn't make it for Thurs

darcie said...

wow, I have a really industrious daughter-in-law; I think you're doing most of the work! Oh, yes, we forgot that I'm making that new recipe of roasted sweet potatoes--but that should be easy!

Abigail said...

oh that makes me homesick - the warm fuzzy kind. Sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh Darcie, I am not doing all the work---I totally wasn't trying to show that! You have to have the whole crowd at your house and use your kitchen, and you have the main stuff (I'm so relieved I don't have to do the rolls!)...so thanks for your hospitality and generosity! Now it's your turn to post your recipes!