Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chicken Azteca, Recipe for a New Year

So many of you have raved and raved over my easy Taco Soup recipe, that I've been racking my brain for another "no-brainer," and as I cooked dinner tonight I realized I had never posted this recipe. If you like delicious, easy, and cans, served over rice, you'll love this recipe...

Chicken Azteca (Crockpot Recipe)
3-4 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans corn, drained
1 tsp. or more cumin
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups salsa, divided
salt and pepper to taste
2-8 oz. packages cream cheese (can cut this down if desired), cubed
shredded cheddar cheese to top
white rice, to serve over

Stir together in crockpot the beans, corn, cumin, garlic, S&P, and 1 cup salsa. Lay chicken over top, and spread the other cup of salsa on top. Cover and cook on high for about 2-3 hours, or low 3-4 hours. (You can definitely start this before church and have a nice lunch when you get home!) When chicken is ready, take out and shred into bitesize pieces. Stir in cream cheese and let melt for maybe 15 minutes. Serve over rice and sprinkle with cheese. Also good with tortilla chips.

*sorry, no pictures...my poor camera is at the shop!

10 comments:

DawnTreader said...

Hi Gabrielle,

I've been scouring for good non-dairy recipes since Rachel is still allergic to dairy, and this one looks like it would be good without the cream cheese melted in. What do you think? Is it worth making without the cream cheese?

Thank you for the post!
Annie

Unknown said...

Annie- I would suggest shredding the chicken and stirring it in, and reserving some of that for Rachel and then adding the cheese for the rest of you all...the cheese adds alot of the creaminess. If you didn't want to add the cheese at all, I'd add 1 can of diced tomatoes to the beans and corn to add some more juiciness so it's not too dry.

Anonymous said...

you need to check your facebook more often. it's my only way of communication right now.

my friend annie said her mom is sending me her old sprint phone. will that work?

Anonymous said...

Gabby, I got your message and haven't had time to call you back! I am so sorry! Also, I am writing this "e-book" of my recipes and have included SEVERAL of yours and want your permission. I won't include them if you don't want me to--I think I have 5!!!

Laura

Rachel said...

Oh Gabrielle -- I just re-read this post and realized (for the first time) that your camera is in the shop! What happened???

DawnTreader said...

Hi Gabrielle,
Boy your blog comments are becoming communication central! :) So I feel perfectly comfortable asking you this question here. :)

Do you have a really good deviled egg recipe? My husband adores them, but I haven't found a recipe I really like. I'm hoping to make them for our 10th anniversary as a surprise for him when he gets home from work. Our anniversary is January 30th and we're not going out until the next day (Saturday) and this will just be an extra, special treat.

I am avoiding email so as not to spoil the surprise, so I'll check here for an answer. :)

Thank you!
Annie

Unknown said...

Annie-sorry, but we aren't huge fans of the deviled egg, and I have to admit, I had to laugh a little thinking about it being a pleasant surprise for Luke on our anniversary...but, my mom does make good ones, and honestly I really think all she does is take the yolks and mash them up real good with mayo and mustard, and probably s&P, and then some paprika (and perhaps one or two with cayenne on the top as a joke for whoever falls for it...)

Unknown said...

Rachel-- my camera's automatic focus just stopped working, so I've been getting really experienced at manual..although I don't think I'm very good at it. It's still under warranty, so we'll see what they say.

Janelle and Ella said...

Hey Gabby!! I am really loving that you are posting so many recipes. My new year's resolution was to make monthly menus so I would know what I was cooking in advance. That way I wouldn't waste so many ingredients. Anyway, I have been copying some of your recipes for upcoming months and they all sounds so yummy I can't wait to try them. Thanks for doing that!

Naomi Smith said...

yeah! you took your camera to the shop! good job. I will be looking for pictures to be posted - - many of them, and often.