Friday, July 24, 2009

Ramblings in the Night

Here I am, at 1:06 in th morning, blogging. Mostly, I'm catching up on all the blogs I never get a chance to read, and somehow tonight it seems appropriate. Mostly, because I'm suffering from heartburn, and I can't even lay in my bed propped up without being miserable, so here I am! I never had this with my girls, just with this boy. Someone once told me that if you have heartburn in pregnancy it means you're going to have a hairy baby...we'll see. Both my girls were fairly bald, so I guess potentially I might have a boy who takes after me (I was born with mounds of black hair...and my mom indeed had heartburn...) So anyway, what ramblings can I come up with at such a late hour? Hmmm....

I think I'll ponder motherhood. The past few days have been especially delightful as I have watched my little girls decide they want to be more involved in chores and are looking forward to it! I knew if I waited to push it, they'd come around...no, not really, it actually quite surprises me as I've been wondering if we should pull out the chore chart and the allowance again. But nonetheless, Amaleah led the bathroom cleaning party yesterday, and Julia almost single-handedly folded all my clothes tonight while Amaleah voluntarily practiced the piano and begged for lessons again. Could it be that my little girls are nesting as well? Hmmm, that's a thought.

But apart from them doing work around the house, I've enjoyed their little personalities, and just their presence at home. It's good to just be at home, and hear the sounds they make, even the particularly irritating ones (like the fights). Motherhood indeed is a blessing, and this is my life. My full time job. There was a time, not long ago I hate to admit, where I wanted to tell strangers who asked "what do you do?" something other than "stay at home mom" as an answer. But I realized that this full time job of mine is a job I love, my husband loves, my kids love, and God loves. I'm doing my job, the job He's called me to, and it is good. Hard? yes, absolutely. Pretty much never easy. But that's okay, because God always gives me the strength I need to get through. Even in the very moment I need it and ask...

So the other day when Julia yelled from upstairs a few times, "Mommy, I need you," I was thankful I was needed, even if it was to wipe up the poop that had somehow gotten smushed all over her leg and the floor. Sigh. I'm thankful.


( not the most flattering of pictures for any of us, but a true picture of reality!)

5 comments:

Abigail said...

thanks for the ramble Gab!
miss you guys...

darcie said...

good post, Gabrielle-you girls look pretty hot in that photo. Here in Tacoma folks are exclaiming about the heat when it's 80 degrees. . .we miss you all.

Michigan Kate said...

I had heartburn with Aaron, actually it was one of my first pregnancy symptoms! I agree with Darcie, you look hot! Here it has been in the 70's pretty much the whole time. See you soon!

Kelly Hickman said...

Thanks for your thoughts on motherhood. I go in tomorrow to have my scheduled c-section. Keep me in your prayers.Can't wait to experience all the sides of parenting two little ones.

Kara Clayton said...

You're right, Motherhood is one of the most important jobs out there, many people (including many moms) just do not realize it. Hang in there and keep enjoying it to the fullest!

As far as the heartburn/hair thing goes...I had 4 boys all with headfulls of hair and never had a single episode of heartburn. So, who knows? I'll pray you don't continue having it though!