Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Traveling Sweater

Last weekend, Landis and I traveled with Luke to Washington, D.C., so Luke could attend a conference for work, and so I could rejuvenate (I did this last year with him, and it was wonderful!) We were there during a huge cold blast that seemed to affect much of America, so layering was essential. As I packed for this trip, I came across this cute, white, hooded zip up sweater with pom-poms all over it in Landis' closet. I had forgotten about this treasure, seeing as how in San Antonio we hardly ever need that many layers. I threw it in the suitcase knowing I would use it, and I did. I got to thinking, "Where has this sweater been?"

You see, it originated in Naomi's household (my sister in law and amazing friend), when she bundled up her 3rd child, Selma, during the cold winter months in Spain.


Then, our dearest friend Lory requested the precious sweater for her 3rd hearty little boy, Blake, and he filled it up quite nicely.

Then Lory in all her goodness, sent me a huge tub of darling little boy clothes when she heard my 3rd was a boy, and low and behold, the darling little sweater appeared, and Landis fit in it beautifully!


(see The Jefferson Memorial in the background?)

So now it has traveled the world. I wonder who it will adorn next winter? Maybe our next new niece or nephew, who is coming in August?

*By the way, the beauty of hand-me-downs is their story, and the memory of the child who last wore it...I always think of who the outfit came from when I put it on my child! And I love that!


5 comments:

lizandbunyan said...

I cannot assume who in your family is expecting...please tell me!

Beautiful post too....I love hand me down gifts and hand made gifts too! They have special meaning for sure.

Your Landis is such a cutie in the sweater too. I know there is a picture of Selma wearing it somewhere in the recesses of Naomi's blog. That is how I came to "request" the sweater in the first place even though I had no idea I really was asking. :)

Unknown said...

Noah & Jamey are expecting, due in August! Exciting, right?

Naomi Smith said...

cuuuuu(gasp)uuuuute! it's perfect for Landis!
I think this is the ONE article that we have all THREE shared . . .

p.s. I believe that the new little one will be wearing spandex, not pom-pom sweaters!

Unknown said...

probably true!

Kara Clayton said...

Love your post. I love hand me downs as well although we don't really know anyone with boys older than mine to give us any...yet, my boys have handed down everything they wore to their next brother, so many of our baby/toddler outfits (not so much the 3yr and up ones though) have been worn by all 4 of them and are very dear to my heart because of the memories tied to them. My sister-in-law suggested making a quilt out of my favorite things since I was really having a hard time getting rid of them. I cant wait to have a quilt that I can use/have forever and that will help me cherish the memories made during those years!