Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When Life Converges

Recently, my wonderful husband traveled with my two girls all the way up to Dallas to purchase a mini-van for our growing family. Yes, I said "mini-van." There was a time in my life where I swore I would never buy a mini-van..."It's too conformist, too 'un-cool,' too 'soccer-mom.' " Well, I take all those things back. The time came, and it came with a vengeance. It's funny how you can change your mind on something, and almost not even remember why you felt the other way! For us, it was three kids that put us over the top. One day I borrowed a friend's mini-van, and I was sold, sold, sold! So if you need a shoulder to cry on about moving on to the mini-van stage, come to me, baby!

But, as we all know, not everything is absolutely perfect just because you have great transportation. My first little adventure in this van with my three darling children went something like this:

"Girls, would you like to go to the park this afternoon after the baby wakes up?"
~ "Yay! Yay! Yay!"
"Everybody go potty, get shoes on, and I'll nurse the baby."
All this takes a bit longer than planned, but we're determined and we're doing it. So out the door, into the van, on the road, excited about the lovely weather...

I start looking at the clock...oh my, it's rush hour, oops, why did I decide to go to the park now?...and the park that happens to be located along-side a highway and a very trafficky intersection? Oh well, we're doing it! We merge onto the highway, and creep, creep, creep...
"When are we going to be there?"
"We're in a bit of traffic girls, we'll be there soon..."
Oh great. construction. 15 minutes. 30 minutes...could it really be taking this long? When does the park close? I think at 6, we'll have a little time anyway. 45 minutes (how can it take 45 minutes to get to a park that's 5 minutes away?)
And then imagine the following things all converging upon each other at the very exact same time:

Julia--"I have to go potty."
Amaleah--"No mom, I reallllllly have to go potty" (followed by shrieks, then tears, then sobs..."REALLY!" (ummm, didn't I tell everyone to go potty before we left?)
Landis--scream, scream, scream
Music--"Before the throne..."
(oh finally, the park, OH NO, Park Closed!!!!!!! What do we do? Just go home, play with neighbors)
Traffic--creeping along
Me- (thinking of my sister-in-law Naomi who I know would be awesome in a moment like this), "You can do it! Squeeze those legs together (Julia--"I want to go potty first! Me first!") Hold it! Hold it! We're almost home (sort of), I see the exit (kind of), the cars are moving faster (possibly)...You can do it!" (cheering all the way home)

We did make it. And played with the neighbors. And went to bed, pooped.

Luke and the girls on the Amtrak

7 comments:

Michigan Kate said...

hehehe! I know that will be me soon enough!

And the mini-van thing.... I think I'm ready for one, but David's not quite there yet. lol!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has days (or weeks!) like that :)
I too confess I'm not ready for a mini-van...I love vans, suvs, my jeep, but I've never liked mini-vans. We'll see what happens when my old jeep gives up the ghost

lizandbunyan said...

What the??? Really, you bought a mini-van?? :)

Ha! Well I guess all I can say is "What kind is it?" I expected to see a picture of it. (Not that the pic of Luke and the girls is not cute or anything.)

Life with 3 is quite the adventure, isn't it? I have to say I am impressed. I don't venture out alot even now with all 3 of mine. I'm just amazed at the pee holding will power of your girls. Amazing!

Sara said...

I think every mother remembers the "I will never drive a mini-van" comment! We love our Odyssey and are sad to have to sell it before we leave.

Naomi Smith said...

haha!
just this week, on our bus ride from the London airport to the London train (that was supposed to be take an hour, but took two) I was saying to Josu "squeeze your buns together! you can do it!"
it was God's kind graces, I believe, that kept us from poop disaster.
p.s. I'm NEVER going to get a minivan! :)

Kelly Hickman said...

If we every have another one, trust me...minivan here we come!

Francey said...

LOVE it!!