Friday, March 26, 2010

Thankful for Visitors


With racks of muffins and freezer bags lining my counter tops and stuffing my freezer, I've been reminded of the joy that comes along with planning for hospitality...memories of sweet time spent with good friends, and the anticipation of good times spent with family. Yesterday my brother, his wife, their precious little baby girl (hence, my niece), and also my Aunt Judy arrived in town for a visit, and I'm excited. But last week we enjoyed time with Aunt Mercy, and also a visit from a dear friend Julie, whom I've known for a very long time, along with her 4 sweet children.

With racket from all sorts of childhood games being played all throughout the house, it's a wonder that Julie and I even got one sentence finished. But we were ruthless in our desire for deep conversation, and we made it happen, by golly! And it was soooo good. The thing I love about my friend Julie is that I can always count on her for sound, Biblical advice; good questions to probe deeper into my heart to check my motives, and kind encouragement to do the right, sometimes even hard things. And I also love that she loves chocolate cake and coffee...

The time was good, and I'm missing her and other dear friends that are far away. We wondered together why it seems like some of our dearest friends live in other places around the country or even the world. "Maybe it's so we won't get tired of each other," I proposed. Or maybe, just maybe it's so that we draw closer to the Lord than to our human relationships.

the bigger kids having craft time

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe our time with those "most treasured" friends is so limited that we don't waste time on the trivial and fluff; we get down to the deep issues of life and the heart and so our hearts are drawn even closer to each other.

Unknown said...

I think you are so right, Steph!

Tamra Lewis said...

Oh!!! Your visit with each other made me miss you both so much!! Wish I could've joined the party. I even made Julie call me upon her return to give me all the details and wisdom and good topics. So glad you got the visit, but your visit with her made me miss you more than I already do!!!

Unknown said...

so maybe we should think about a little ladies retreat?

Amber Smith said...

You described Julie perfectly...full of wisdom and so much fun!

Julie said...

Gabrielle, you are so gracious and have such a heart to encourage. What a blessing it was to be with you! I'm all for that retreat!!

Mindy said...

Oh, how happy I was to see that you had such a sweet time with Julie! We truly are blessed to have such deep and meaningful friendships. I can honestly say that it's when I'm with my Texas friends it's like eating triple chocolate cake smothered with dark chocolate fudge...I think your friend was right who said we get straight to what matters, rather than wasting time on surfacey matters. I so cherish the times I have with y'all.