Saturday, January 15, 2011

An Outing

It was raining outside, but we played with umbrellas inside!
The other day, my family of 5 (plus one gramma) went out to lunch at a little casual restaurant nearby.  The atmosphere there is very low key, no servers, seat yourself. Overall, I thought it was a good outing.  No one threw any fits, except for an occasional yell from Landis (normal for a 1 year old, right?), the children stayed in their seats for the most part, and it was fun. Near the end, of course I had to clean Landis like crazy (he's in a very messy eating stage), and my bigger children (inspired by their gramma :) started singing a song (which I quieted immediately), and then we made our way out.

But as we left, we passed a little old couple, and after the man glared at me, he said to his wife, although I heard every word, "Good riddance." Oh my goodness!  Really? I have to admit, I glared back, and then we left.

But it stuck in my head. Is that what people think of my family? Are they really glad when we leave? I know we aren't the quietest bunch, and I am trying to work on manners, but I honestly thought that particular outing was on the good side of the spectrum...Should I be annoyed at the old couple, or at my children?  Or at myself?

But really, I just have to speak truth to my heart in all this and ask myself some questions.  "Why does it bother you so much what other people think?  Are you training your children for the approval of man?"  It's not our goal to please man, but to please God.  "Did your afternoon with the family please God?  Are you training your children for God's glory?" And then think on things that are true.

And so, while I must admit, I am affected by what other people say about my family, in the end, it's what pleases God that matters.

1 comment:

Heather Pelczar said...

I can relate to this on so many levels. thank you for your honesty- and the honest heart thoughts at the end. It's where we MUST end up- "Are we pleasing to Him?" and that is all that matters.