Friday, September 9, 2011

Family Heirlooms

I pulled my handy-dandy mixer out this week, and was flooded with memories...I got a little sentimental over this little household gadget. When we lived in North Carolina, over 4 years ago, my caterer-neighbor had a crisis and came pounding on my door..."Gabrielle, I'm hosting a party in a couple of hours and my mixer broke! Can I please, please borrow yours?" So she did, and it saved the day as well as her fluffy mashed potatoes. I remember her telling me how wonderful it worked, and that she's always getting a new mixer every couple of years. It was funny to me, because it was totally a $30 mixer, since we couldn't bear to register for one of those expensive ones when we got married, for fear that all we'd get was a mixer and nothing else! (I still think it was that day of whipping that permanently placed the mixer on the high setting, but no worries...)

So here I am today, with my 12 year old hand-mixer--a faithful mashed potato whipper. I use nothing else! I can't bear those hand-held potato mashers, which all my brother-in-laws swear by. They must be whipped, and only with my little Hamilton Beach mixer. What will I ever do without it, when it goes to kitchen appliance heaven? Do they even make these things anymore?
The first picture Amaleah took, I had a very grumpy looking face (maybe that's how I always cook),
so I had her take another one so I could look more pleasant...

4 comments:

Ryan. Beth. Pierce. Paige. Ollie. said...

I'm sorry, but could you be any cuter? Seriously.

Rachel said...

loving the earrings : )

naomi said...

but I can't see your pearls! . . . it must be the angle.

Abigail said...

heehee!
Gab, you Are making life more beautiful today. Thank you!