Monday, August 11, 2008

Back to Real Life

Another Monday: a day of laundry; digging through the frig for something, just something to eat; dealing with no air conditioning (for like the 5th time this summer); trying to get the girls to help fold clothes; and of course watching the Olympics (Go USA!). But hey, I have nothing to complain about. I just got back from a wonderful weekend with my husband in DC. So, here's a brief recap, or "review" if you will...

Luke had a medical conference in DC, so I went along with him. Not only was the time so nice just to have Luke all to myself every evening, but also to have time to myself during the day. DC is such a beautiful city, especially when the weather is right. And from all our experiences, the taxi cab drivers were actually quite pleasant and friendly!

So we enjoyed some Italian food at a place called Fine'. The food was good, not superb. I will say they did know how to do bruschetta, and I will definitely do it that way next time...They didn't make the baguette slices toooo crispy. They were thicker and slightly crisp, but fresh and soft in the middle. And of course the diced tomatoes, onions, and parsley were fresh and good. That dinner was followed by a late night movie, a very rare occurrence for us.

During the daytime while Luke conferenced, I just took it easy. I found a cute little coffee place Dean & Deluca, that seemed to be the local hit (or "yuppy" hangout). I really liked it--the walls rolled up and it was an outdoor scene, very nice for the breezy weather. I read homeschool materials and prepared schedules and activity lists, and then I just couldn't help it. I had to shop. Shopping was followed by a jaunt to a crepe place I had been keeping my eye out for, called Snap. Oh a big disappointment. Once you've had crepes in Austin, TX at Flip Happy ( I think that's what it's called), I guess nothing is the same. I tried a chicken in peanut sauce crepe, and it seemed like it was dunked in peanut butter, and the crepe was mushy. Oh well. Maybe a city can't do politics and food... I spent the rest of the day planning for school.

The rest of the weekend was full of dear friends from college days, visits to the monuments, and cooking our famous Chile Rellenos for the gang. Overall the weekend was restful and good. It was very fun to see the girls again-- I think it was good for us to be able to look forward to seeing each other!

Now, it's time to get our hearts and minds ready for a year of Kindergarten and Preschool. I'm not ready, and I don't know if I'll ever feel ready, but I'm trusting in God to provide the wisdom and organizational schools for all that! But that's for another post.

For more pics of our trip, go to my flickr page, which you can click on at the right of this screen.

1 comment:

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Sounds like a great trip!
:-)
Nichole