Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mandarin Salad

So this has sort of become my signature salad. I have a few others that I like, but this is just so good, why mess with a good thing? Although I threw in some variations last week and they were a huge success. I got this from a lady at an old church we went to--it was sort of my first introduction to the idea of making your own salad dressing. I didn't know you could do that! Since then, I hardly ever buy a bottle of dressing (I'm sure that doesn't surprise those of you who know my mother...)

Mandarin Salad

Dressing:
1/4 c. veg. oil
2 T. sugar
2 T. white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
several dashes of Tabasco sauce (or any red pepper sauce; don't worry, this doesn't make it spicy)

1 bunch green leaf lettuce, washed and torn
4-5 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
sliced almonds, toasted
2 green onions, sliced
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Make dressing ahead and chill. Combine salad ingredients and toss with dressing when ready to serve.
(Variation: instead of almonds, use toasted pecans; leave out the onions and add sliced strawberries)

No comments: