Friday, May 11, 2012

My Moms


My husband was away for a business trip recently, and while life did stay fairly sane (remarkably), one day had the potential to be long, tiring and chaotic. But, last minute, my sweet mom agreed to take Landis for the day, freeing me up to have some sweet times with my own daughters. Later, that same night, Luke's mom flew back into town after a two week trip away. We were able to get somewhat caught up that night while she was snuggling with one of my girls in bed. After she left, I walked into my living room and stared at the laundry basket which was miraculously full of folded clothes. Seriously, when did she do that? (and I promise, I didn't intentionally put the laundry basket there for her to fold this time).

But it struck me (once again) how thankful I am for my moms. Not only do they fold my laundry, babysit the kids, bring me meals when we're sick, read to my children, and selflessly come along side of me to help ease the burdens of motherhood. But mostly, they are a testimony of God's grace in their life. They shower me with wisdom, ever so kindly and gently, and they live their lives as though not their own. They both seem to have such a keen sense and awareness of the fading nature of this world, and of the value of knowing Jesus and seeing Him as the main thing in life. They are both such a testimony of clinging to the cross of Jesus Christ as their stronghold, no matter what the cost. And while they both have a lovely sense of beauty and creativity, displayed in their amazing talents of sewing, quilting, and the like, it's all so clear that for them, it is just a small image of the beauty of God. I have no doubt whatsoever that each of them would give up everything they owned if needed, to further the Gospel, because it is so clear to me that they have their heart in Heaven, with the eternal God, and not on the fleeting things of this world.

I'm always thankful for my mom and Luke's mom, but it's nice to have a special day every year where we can ponder it more deeply.

2 comments:

sharontidwell said...

Beautiful post and beautiful pictures!!

Denise said...

You do have a double blessing of great moms. :)