Sunday, November 25, 2012

"We Love You Ms. Hannigan!"







































We don't really "do" Halloween in our family--but this year we decided to have a family costume night and hide candy and light up the house and make a memory. Can you guess who Julia and I are?

We've got Annie on the brain--the first Broadway musical we saw while in NYC a few weeks ago. What an amazing experience it was, but not without some drama, and what may be my most embarrassing moment ever. Let me explain.

In the middle of the first half of the show, Julia just "had to go bafroom." seriously. And if you know Julia, when she has to go, she has to go. Well, we were on the second row of the mezzanine (the balcony), and I motioned to Luke to the sign that said "exit," inquiring if that was the door I should go out of, you know, not wanting to cause a scene or draw attention to ourselves or anything. He nodded "yes." Thanks Luke. So Julia and I slither out, and I sort of push her out the exit door, only to be hit with a huge draft of wind, the sound of clinking scaffolding below our feet, and the noise of traffic! Panicking, I dragged Julia right back in quickly, and slipped her down a side set of stairs thinking they surely must be the exit. But no, just the stairs to the very front of the next level, still in front of the whole audience. At this point I'm crouching and hiding, literally, trying to figure out what to do next.

So, I brace myself, don't make eye contact whatsoever, and push her back up the stairs and all the way up the next set of stairs past the whole audience to the very back, down the flight of stairs, and into the tiny two seater bathroom with a loud flusher, just a few feet away from the audience.

Let me just tell you that going back into the show was the last thing I wanted to do.... But we did it, and Luke motioned to me like "Why the heck did you go out the exit door? Obviously, that meant exit to the street. I was pointing over there." Hmm. Thanks but no thanks.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Oh, that picture is priceless and y'all look AWESOME! How crazy about the exit to the street! EEK!

You are an awesomely fun mom! :)

naomi said...

best adventure ever! I'm going to google some key words to see if anyone else in the audience blogged about you two cute girls and your hunt for the bathroom! :)

also - yes! you do look awesome! I think you should actually wear that outfit; it's totally legit.